Monday, May 18, 2009

The Music of the Night


Last week Josh and I got to go out together twice, which is a record since Ridley's birth. So, we made it count.

On Monday, May 11, we dropped Ridley off at Leann and Lara's and headed down to the Excel Energy Center to see Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band. I am not a big concert goer - most of the time I would rather just listen to a CD because it has the following benefits:
1. I can skip the songs I don't like
2. I can get other things done while listening to it. 
3. There's no drunk lady in her 40's spilling beer on me while someone else does one of those obnoxious loud whistles in my ear. 

That being said, for the right bands, I'll go, and I usually enjoy it (drunk beer-spilling lady aside). Of course, my favorite concert was Madonna in 2004.
At least, it was until last Monday. Now, I'm not saying Bruce was better, she is the Queen of Pop, after all. 

But he's the Boss, and he sure gave her a run for her money.
 
Two and a half hours straight they played. And he puts on a SHOW. If he ever comes back to the Twin Cities (and we're hopeful he will - he's been here eight times in as many years), you can bet that we'll be there. 

Then after spending a couple days recuperating, we left Ridley with my mom for the afternoon (more on that later) while we headed to the Orpheum Theatre to see Phantom of the Opera. We both grew up listening to the soundtrack and loved it, but neither of us had seen the show. Theatre shows for me are kind of the opposite of concerts - I have seen many and loved many. (And no drunk beer-spilling lady*). 

Phantom was amazing. Breath-taking music and stage effects... completely worth the price of the tickets and worth the wait as well. 

No comments: